Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sea Horse

Here is an initial lay-in sketch for a painting intended to be a name for a home.  It is a sea horse but I intend to make it an identity for a beach-area home, which I'll probably suggest being called Sea House.  Why? I am compelled when various buildings, especially homes, are given personalities and individual identities. Think of English houses with names like Treetops or Mill House.  Websites like YourSigns.com and English House Names tell a bit of the English house name history.  

To me, such naming of homes projects a certain history, connection to a neighborhood, ownership and care taking--which in turn contributes to a sense of place, and stewardship of the local community.  

If you sense this mission is trivial, please understand that I don't.  Strengthening our neighborhoods is what I consider to be one of our highest priorities. Naming a house and instilling pride in a house is nowhere near a complete solution, of course. But it is represents a fundamental accountability and stewardship, and I feel these things accrete when put in place.  Plus it is fun for me. 

No comments: